Hudson's Bay Company Establishes Fort Vancouver in 1825.
The Hudson's Bay Company was established at Fort George, Astoria, but HBC Governor George Simpson dictated a move to the South Side of the Columbia River to stake a boundary claim between Great Britain and the United States.
By 1829 Simpson recognized the advantages of remaining in the current location: the soil and climate were ideal for growing, it was a prime trade location, and the Columbia was easily navigable compared to the Fraser. Due to the distance from the river, the HBC built this second Fort in 1829 at a location closer to the Columbia River.
Hidden Bricks in Camas, Washington.
Today, a residential neighborhood in Camas called Grass Valley Park has repurposed some of the Hidden bricks from the Camas Paper Mill as a tribute to the history of the area. The brick circle is near the covered picnic area by the playground equipment.
The Many Bricks of the Fort Vancouver National Historic Site.
The Famous Fort Vancouver "Kitty Brick."
It wasn't uncommon in the 19th century for the English to deconstruct Roman ruins or cobblestone roads to "recycle" the bricks for newer building projects. Many of these bricks were packed into ships, made it over to Fort George in Astoria and then down the Columbia River to Fort Vancouver.
Fort Vancouver's Post Hospital - The Infamous Building 614.
The Hospital was built with bricks in part to help with sanitation and has open verandas to provide light and fresh air to convalescing soldiers. There are several types of bricks used in the building, including Hidden bricks, that were used when 614 was moved to the current site and the different bricks used are clearly visible.
A Walk Down Haunted Officer's Row.
The house was named in honor of General George C. Marshall (1880-1959), who lived here from 1936-1938, serving as commander of the barracks and the regional Civilian Conservation Corps. It was here that General and Mrs. Marshall welcomed the Russian crew of the first nonstop transpolar flight from Europe to America in 1937. General Marshall is perhaps best remembered for the post-World War II Marshall Plan for European economic recovery that he authored and for which he was awarded the 1953 Nobel Peace Prize.
This “crown jewel” of Officers Row continued to house the barracks commander through the end of World War II. It was acquired by the City in 1984 and renovated along with the other houses on Officers Row in the late 1980s.