Saint James - Who Was He?
St. James Proto-Cathedral, Vancouver Washington.
Bishop Augustin-Magloire Blanchet's Catholic Ladder
Mother Joseph's Artisan Brickwork and Links to La Camas.
Mother Joseph's Special Relationship with "Little Eddie".
She then did everything to help support and encourage his religious calling, and her lessons and attention to detail had a major influence on his life. Mother Joseph herself hand embroidered his vestments and slippers for his consecration as Bishop on Sept. 8, 1896 at the St. James Cathedral in Vancouver.
Moving the Diocese to Nisqually.
Beginning on October 19, 1903, the Cathedral Fair was a huge civic event. It was held at the Armory at Third and Union and was kicked off by Seattle Mayor Humes himself. It lasted for ten days, and was open each day from 11:30 am until at least midnight. The Fair offered attractions including an ice-cream bar, a candy shop, a cigar stand, a FORTUNE TELLER(!), full-service restaurant, and even a country store. The entire city of Seattle, particularly non-Catholics with money to spend, was invited to come and eat, drink, and be entertained.
The First Incorrupt Bishop of the New World.
The Diocese of Nisqually was first renamed the Diocese of Seattle in 1907 and then renamed again as the Archdiocese of Seattle in 1951. In June 1955, Seattle’s Archbishop Connolly instructed Father Joseph Doogan, the head of Catholic Cemeteries in Seattle, to transfer the remains of the Archbishop’s four predecessors to a new mausoleum at Holyrood Cemetery in north Seattle (now known as the city of Shoreline).
You'll have a better time on this website (and maybe with life) if you just roll with this.
The men wanted to ensure that the remains were correctly identified to be sealed in their proper places in the new crypt, so the caskets were opened for identification purposes. When the first casket was opened, the three men discovered a large sheet of tin attached to the sides. There was an oval-shaped piece of glass with a matching oval-shaped section of tin at the top where the head should be. A reasonable explanation for that surprise is the sheet of tin was spread out over the bishop’s body with a section cut out at the top for a glass viewing window at the funeral.
There is definitely something mysterious going on in this church built from Hidden Bricks that is linked to Mother Joseph. It's pretty amazing, so say the least.