The amazing red brick Dekum building still stands at 505 SW 3rd Avenue in downtown Portland Oregon. Named after Frank Dekum, a German immigrant who opened Portland's first candy shop, construction cost $300,000 in 1892 dollars. Mr. Dekum was a prominent Portland fruit merchant, banker and real estate investor and insisted that only local materials were used in his building.
The Dekum is one of Sara/SJ's favorite buildings in the city, and it is within a stone's throw of the Bishop's House, a location linked to Mother Joseph and other early Catholic settlers in the Pacific Northwest. The Dekum is officially Oregon's oldest office building and is over 77,000 square feet of classic architecture. Swoon!