Other Pacific Northwest Bricks
E.J. Jeffery Brick Company - Portland, Oregon
Kern Brick Company - Portland, Oregon
John worked for his father William Kern who operated a Cedar Mill sawmill before taking up a donation land claim near 82nd and Powell Streets in Portland Oregon, where he remained until just before his death in 1865. In 1883, Loyal married Helen Hawes, a native of Canada. By 1890 he turned his attention to the brick manufacturing business, establishing a plant at East 37th and Powell Streets that operated until 1923.
Many of these immigrants are buried in unmarked graves in the area, including in Portland's Lone Fir Cemetery. The favorite daughter of John McLoughlin (who is related to both Andrea and SJ's family members), Eloisa McLoughlin Harvey, is also buried there with many other significant Pioneers from the area. This cemetery is known to be wildly haunted.
Columbia Brick Company - Gresham, Oregon
The old brickworks was partially demolished by Mutual Materials in 2003. The old Columbia Brick Works buildings, some of which are currently used for storage, are located in the southwest and central part of the site. This was a big brickyard when it was in full operation, taking 1 million bricks just to build the ovens here! They dug the clay out of the fast moving Johnson Creek here. There area rail tracks and a major road in the area, it's another liminal spot.
If you walk in the woods or on the trail along the Springwater corridor and look for bricks, you'll find them. We had to pace ourselves, but here's some of SJ's finds from the first time they went out.
Sylvan Brick Company / Standard Brick Company, Portland, Oregon
SJ's husband Dave was born in a house in this same neighborhood within blocks of this old brickyard and spent a lot of time around there as a kid, so we decided to look into this past local company further.
Initially, the company primarily provided brick as structural supports for commercial and office buildings. The area where the brickyard stood is near the large business park at Westgate and Skyline Blvd. There are no remaining traces of the brickyard left here.
Los Angeles Pressed Brick Company - Alberhill, California
East Coast Red Bricks
In the first decade of the 20th century, the Hudson Valley was the largest brick-producing region in the world, producing over a billion bricks a year, accounting for 10% of total U.S. brick production. The last surviving brickyard is long gone from this area, but the beginnings of American Brickmaking are tied to the area.
Washburn Brick Company - Glasco/Saugerties, New York
During the depression the brick industry languished and one of the Washburn brothers died by suicide. All the workers were called in by the remaining brother and told, "Business is bad. If you stick with me you won't lose your job but your wages will be reduced until we can see this through." Many of the men went to Athens and Hudson to work in other brickyards or in the cement plants instead of sticking it out.
Sage Brick Manufacturing Company - Southold, New York
The brickyard location is now used as a marina in Greenport, New York. The cottages that were used as brickyard's workers residences are still standing, although they are now located across the street closer to the water and called "Breezy Shores".
These Sage stamped red bricks date to roughly 1885.
Patrick O'Brien Brick Company - Verplanck, New York
Rose Brick Company - Roseton, New York
JJJ Juan Jacinto Jova Brick - Roseton, New York
B J Allison and Company - Hudson River, New York
Stiles Brick Company - North Haven, Connecticut
R. O. Clark Brick Company - Cromwell, Connecticut
West Barnstable Brick Co - Cape Cod, Massachusetts
Richmond Molded Clay Company - Mansfield, Ohio
Whitacre Greer - Alliance, Ohio
1835 Deerfield Ohio Township Brick - John Diver House
From kentohiohistory.org: "...in December, 1806, a disturbance occurred in Deerfield Township which resulted in the killing of an Indian. The trouble started when a white man named John Diver traded an old horse to an Indian named Nickshaw for an Indian pony. Nickshaw returned in a few days and wanted to trade back, saying that the white man had cheated him. Diver laughed at the Indian. Nickshaw then hired his brother-in-law, Mohawk, to shoot Diver but by mistake the Indian shot Daniel Diver, the brother of John, the ball taking out both of his eyes.
Diver recovered, however, and married, raised a family, and lived 30 years or more. Nickshaw was subsequently killed by neighbors of Diver but Mohawk escaped."
Le High Brick Company - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Harbison-Walker Company - Stronach Station, Pennsylvania
From the History of the Clay-Working Industry in the United States published in 1909: "In 1893 Harbison Walker bought the Cambria Fire Brick Company's works and clay properties located at Figart, Cambria County, and this was followed in 1897 by the erection of the Widemire works at Stronach Station, Pa., with a daily capacity of about 35,000 brick." This brick was was recovered near the mouth of Narragansett Bay near Newport, Rhode Island.
Fulton Fire Brick Company- Fulton, Missouri
St. Louis V. & F. B. Company - St. Louis, Missouri
Sam Currier - Stillwater, Oklahoma
Ada Brick & Tile Company - Ada, Oklahoma
Cleveland VIT Brick Company - Cleveland, Oklahoma
Caney Brick Company - Caney, Kansas
Capital City Brick Company - Topeka, Kansas
The Capital City plant turned out about 35,000 bricks a day, although it had the capacity to produce up to 50,000 bricks daily. The company’s vitrified bricks were made of shale dug from a hillside at the location. The shale was crushed, mixed and moistened before passing through a machine that used pressure to form the bricks into shape.
Once cut to the desired length, the bricks were taken to dry kilns heated by steam. They remained in the kiln for 48 hours before being transferred to Eudaly kilns and fired for 9 to 10 days. These bricks were famous for being three times stronger than concrete. The streets of Topeka still have over 4 miles of paving and 14 miles of sidewalk made from these bricks in use.
Other Kansas Bricks
Don't Spit On The Sidewalk - the TB Bricks of Coffeyville, Kansas
Parsons Vitrified Brick Company - Mound Valley, Kansas
I can't find mention of the Parsons Vitrified Brick Company after this 1911 entry. I am assuming it was purchased and incorporated into one of the other local Kansas brickyards.
Saginaw Paving Brick Company - Saginaw, Michigan
The clay from Saginaw bricks came from a Flushing, Michigan mine and bricks were shipped on Pere Marquette rail cars throughout Michigan. A railroad strike in 1910 halted manufacturing for a short period.
1917's rationing of coal, used to cure the bricks, doomed the plant when the war department deemed the plant non-essential. In 1920 the plant was sold to Carde Stamping and Tool Company. The general manager for Carde was a man named R.P. Means, and the plant eventually evolved into what became known as Means Industries, who now manufacture propulsion systems for cars.